I Can Help With:
Depression, Anger Issues, Anxiety, Stress, Low Self Esteem,
Marital Problems, Family Relationships, Psychological Trauma,
Mindfulness Training and Childhood Abuse
I am a professionally qualified counsellor and psychotherapist with over 30 years experience in the health service and in private practice. In 2006 I set up GM Counselling with a team of experienced and professionally qualified associate counsellors from a range of specialisms which now also includes new services for executive coaching and for autism.
As well as my private counselling and psychotherapy practice I also provide mentoring and coaching for counsellors and other professionals, including teachers, social workers, managers and business people.
As an accredited counsellor and psychotherapist with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy I am bound by their codes of ethics and practice, complaints procedures and insurance requirements. I provide a highly professional and discreet service at my consultation rooms at 90a Spencer Road, Waterside, L’Derry
My practice is long established and over the years my clients have been helped with a wide variety of family and mental health problems including anxiety and depression, anger management, family relationships and marital problems, low self esteem, psychological trauma, stress related problems including work stress, post traumatic stress and difficulties resulting from emotional, physical or sexual abuse.
M.Sc.Dip Counselling BACP Accredited Counsellor. Registration no. 16253
My qualifications include:
- Masters Degree in Guidance and Counselling
- Post Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling
- Advanced Diploma in Supervision
- Certificate in Systemic Family Therapy
- Certificate in Therapeutic work with Sexual Abuse
- Certificate of Qualification in Social Work
- Certificate in Advanced Social Work
- Certificate in Solution Focussed Brief Therapy
Over many years I have contributed academic articles to professional journals and delivered lectures at major conferences. My published articles include:
- The Prevalence of Sexual Abuse within Mental Health Populations in the WHSSB Area. Dept. of Health and Social Services, Belfast 1995.
- Sexual Abuse and Bulimia. Eisteach (Journal of the Irish Assoc. for counselling and psychotherapy) Dublin January 2000.
- Solution Focused Interventions in Social Work Practice. Perspectives; Belfast; Summer 2007
- A Solution Focused Approach to Assessment. Paper presented to Irish Mental Health Social Work Conference in October 2008
“You helped me understand the source of my anxiety and I learnt useful techniques to calm myself and to manage stressful situations much better.”
“The time, space and understanding you showed has changed my life completely and saved my marriage.”
“I now understand that many things in my life were not my fault, that I have strength and that I can respect myself and have a good life”.
“We now recognise when things are going wrong and we know how to prevent arguments escalating out of control. We have also learnt how to communicate our emotional needs. Not only are we much happier but our children are as well”
“I am much calmer now and no longer explode into rages like I used to. I felt ashamed at first to admit that I could not control my anger, but with your acceptance and support, I feel I can manage stressful situations much better. Thankyou so much.”